Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Rant

2009!!!

Last night was easily the strangest New Year's Eve celebration in my short history on this planet. My band, the Tear Jerks played our best show yet. I've never seen anyone so afraid as this one little Korean girl while all these big American guys formed a mosh pit right as we started playing. Afterwards, I had a strange and slightly unsettling conversation with two G.I.s from Kentucky. One second, we're laughing and joking and having a good time. Then, all of a sudden one of them wanted to punch me in the face because I suggested that his uncle was actually his father. Some people just can't take a joke...

I have been witness to more fights in Seoul than anywhere else. Maybe it's something in the water. Maybe it is the degenerates I choose to associate with. Maybe it's all of the G.I.s who start fights because they can't get laid. Whatever it is, I generally manage to remain a spectator. One of these days though, my sarcasm is going to get me into trouble.

For the first time, I have decided to have a New Year's Resolution. I am generally against such things because I feel that nobody actually follows through with their resolutions, but I'm going to give it a shot. So here is my resolution:

I will no longer address a person as "dude" or "man." Both of these words have been integral parts of my social vocabulary since I was in High School but I think it's about time that I move on. I really don't want to be calling people "dude" throughout my twenties. I know it will take a little while for me to completely remove these words from my vocabulary, but it will happen eventually.

So, there it is. I'm not going to try and start exercising, or write a screenplay, or volunteer more often. I could say that and feel good for a second. But in the end, I would probably never actually do those things. Dropping "dude" and "man" from my vocabulary is a much more realistic goal for myself. 

I also hope to get more involved in photography, a recent passion of mine. I have spent the past few weeks researching various lenses and I plan on making a purchase this week. So I want to get out, take more pictures, and post some of my favorites here.

Now I'm going to go have my first Kimchi of 2009. I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable holiday.

No comments: