Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My typical dinner

On Monday-Thursday, I generally eat my dinner sitting at my small black table, admiring the bustling night traffic and glittering city lights that appear through my window, and listening to whatever music happens to be playing from my computer that is most likely perched on top of my air conditioner. If I am too lazy to prepare anything, I have my choice of about 25 different restaurants without even stepping foot outside.

My typical self-prepared meal is far different from previous "Cooper Staples." However, I have grown to love my little K-meals, and already dread the day when Kimchi is not readily available as that ubiquitous side dish. About 90% of my meals consist of four things. The first, and perhaps most important part of any Korean meal, is the rice. My rice is grade-A sticky white rice straight from the source...my rice maker:

I also have kimchi, seaweed wrap, and what I shall refer to as the "wild card" dish. There is nothing exciting about the wild card, it is just simply the only dish that ever changes. In the picture below, you will note that the "wild card" from tonight's dinner was two scrambled eggs. The bowl in the middle is a serving of delicious rice. Behind the rice is a tray full of seaweed wrap, which I use to wrap up various combinations of rice, kimchi, and egg. That giant container of what looks like vomit is, in fact, Kimchi. Obviously I will not consume the entire plastic tub in one sitting. Actually, it takes me over a month to consume an entire tub of Kimchi. Despite it's outward appearance (especially in this photo), Kimchi is actually quite delicious. The Kimchi you see below comes from the E-Mart in my building. 

So there you have it...my average dinner. It may not look very appetizing, but I assure you that my makeshift Asian meal rivals anything that I used to whip up back in America.

No comments: