Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Tear Jerks - Live @ Club DGBD

One of the most unexpected things that has happened since arriving in Seoul is that I have joined a band, the Tear Jerks. To make a long story short, I randomly met this Irish bass player named Cain upon discovery that he needed a drummer for a punk band. Luckily, he knew of a practice space with its own drum set. So, one Sunday in mid-October, I headed over to Itaewon, met the rest of the band, and practiced with them for a couple of hours. Almost two months later, we landed a gig (thanks to Cain) opening for a korean psychobilly band called the Rock Tigers. Fast forward to last Saturday and the moment of truth was finally upon us. Here is a shot of my three band mates:

From left to right: John (Guitar), Shawn (Vocals), Cain (Bass)

And here's me:

Since we haven't even been playing for two months, we only have seven songs that we knew with enough confidence to play. So we plowed through our set in about 25 minutes and, before I knew it, I was hopping off the stage wishing we could do it all over again. Luckily, the crowd really seemed to like it. Perhaps it is because all of our songs are about drinking and/or fighting. Most of the people in the crowd were doing the former and had probably, at one point, done the latter. There were many attempts for me to take my shirt off during the show, though I refused. All in all it was one of the best experiences I've had so far in Korea. Fortunately, the fun isn't over yet. We have another show this upcoming weekend at a place called Club FF, so I'm very excited about that. We're playing Club FF on New Year's Eve as well. 

My friend Courtney took some video of last Saturday's performance, so I will try and post that if I can get ahold of it. Until then, here's a nice shot of the top of my head. Thank God I'm not balding...yet.



No comments: