Thursday, October 9, 2008

Here we go...

Remember what happened to all of your friends who vowed never to start a Facebook account? Those people that appeared intelligent, or at least cool enough to not rely on Facebook stalking as a daily time-wasting ritual. What happened to them? 

THEY CAVED

Two months ago I was asked to start a blog while I am in South Korea. Certain people assumed that my life would be interesting enough so that others, assumedly those in America, would want to read about all of the exciting adventures I have. Without even thinking, I boldly claimed that I would NEVER start a blog. "Blogs are pretentious and reek of narcissism," I said...most likely in a pretentious way. 

Recently though, I have become fascinated with blog culture and find myself reading various blogs almost daily. Whether it is a friend just ranting about daily nothingness or some guy trying to watch every film in the Criterion Collection and then spending 15+ hours dissecting each one, blogs are bizarre and slightly addicting. So, as I love to do every so often, I decided to hop on the band wagon. 

Here's my blog!!!!!!!!!! Get ready for massive amounts of bitching, music snobbery, recommendations that you didn't ask for, and stupid videos. Maybe I'll throw a nip shot in every once in a while.

So, I'll give the basic facts - an intro, if you will...

Graduating from UVM in May with a degree in English, I didn't exactly get bombarded with lucrative job oppertunities. Given the fact that English majors are easier to come by than a McDonalds, and how the word "career" makes me want to curl up in a ball, I decided to put the real world on hold and come to Korea. I landed in Seoul roughly six weeks ago and life has been fairly absurd ever since..mostly in a good way. I teach English (or Englishee, as my students love to say) at the Korean equivalent of a vocational school called Seoul Robotics High School. My students may not be "intelligent" or "driven" or "bound for success," but what they lack in academic qualities, they make up for in their undying love and admiration for ME. Everyone should get the chance to feel like a celebrity at least once in their life, even if it is only within the confines of a shabby-looking High School in Seoul.

In class, I'm a game-show host. Outside of class, I'm essentially a press secretary, answering any and all questions thrown at me by students, teachers, and janitorial staff. 

"Are you married?"
"Do you have girlfriend?"
"How much money do you make?"
"How much beer can you drink?"
"Who do you want to win the election?"
"Can you introduce me to gold-haired woman?"
"Do you believe in Jesus Christ?"

The list goes on...

Aside from the bombardment of questions, everyone at my school rocks. The teachers constantly shower me with gifts (socks, fruit, candy, potatoes) and love showing me pictures of their families and/or collection of model robots. No matter how tired I am at the end of the day, I always leave the school with a big grin on my face. That's more than I can say for City Market. 

Some things are hard to get used to: the stares, blatant shoving in the subway, lack of cheese...but I can't complain. Korea is sweet, my friends are great, I'm almost average height, and I have a rice cooker. Life can't get much better than that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lack of cheese... deal breaker.

Anonymous said...

I read this and then was like... I should have just come along....

your old praha pal,

James