Friday, October 31, 2008

The Star Man steals my date

For the past few weeks, I have been having really strange and vivid dreams. Strange dreams are nothing new to me, but they usually dissipate within moments of waking. Recently however, I have been remembering almost every dream in great detail. There have been a few involving people I haven't thought of or spoken to in years. There is one in particular involving a person that I barely even know, but for some reason holds a prominent place in my subconscious. Last night's dream is by far the most bizarre of the bunch, and I'd like to share it with you. Seeing as how I have at least 5 friends with Psych majors, maybe one of you can tell me 'what it all means' or whatever.

The dream begins during a David Bowie concert at a venue which vaguely resembles the Orpheum Theatre in Boston. At this point in the dream, the only thing I am aware of is the venue, David Bowie, and the fact that I am there with a group of people whom I know, but their identity is unclear. I remember getting excited when Bowie played Panic of Detroit, especially the line "looks a lot like Che Guevara." I really like singing that line for some reason. Then things get a little hazy at this point but I do recall him playing some sort of muddled mix of 5 Years and Star Man. Then he goes into this song that I don't know, and based on the crowd's reaction, nobody else knows it either. The band meanders along some lame jam while Bowie delicately strikes a triangle. I distinctly remember the triangle because I was thinking that only Bowie pull that off.

For some reason we all know that this is the end of Bowie's set and a lot of people start to trickle out of the theatre. This makes me mad for some reason and I start yelling at the people as they walk out. "You assholes. You're gonna miss the encore. It's the best part of the show." I was totally convinced that Bowie was going to blow our minds during the encore. And for some strange reason my subconscious began confusing David Bowie with Daft Punk at this point. I had it in my head that Bowie was going to do the Superheroes/Human After All/One More Time encore from Daft Punk's Alive 2007 tour, quite possibly the single best live music experience of my life. But that's a whole different story.

Anyway, all of my 'friends' are trying to leave with the rest of the crowd but I keep telling them to stay because I know what he's going to play for the encore. The funny thing is, I don't even remember what he did play as an encore in the dream, because then find myself in an alley after the show, with some girl who I know was my 'date' in the dream but this is definitely not a person I've met in reality. She was, however, very attractive.

So I approach Bowie as all these people are trying to get records signed and pictures or whatever, and I think I'm so suave, so I just say "Hey Mr. Bowie. I'd just like to shake your hand and tell you I'm a big fan." So Bowie stops what he's doing, looks over at me and shakes my hand, obviously unimpressed with me in general. He does however take a liking to my 'date' and begins to fondle her breasts without saying a word. She seems pretty pumped about the fact, and I just sort of stand there knowing that I can't really do anything about it. So then I walk away as I hear my date and David Bowie giggling and groping in some back alley in what is probably Boston, Massachusetts. And this is when I wake up in South Korea to the sound of a blaring alarm clock.

Yeah, I know that nobody cares about other people's dreams, and I generally don't either. But this one has been stuck in my head all day and I'm still trying to decipher it's mysterious meaning. If I were to self-diagnose, I'd probably say that this dream reveals the fact that I am insecure about women and I think about music way too much...both of which may or may not be true.

No comments: