Saturday, October 25, 2008

How to Live on Earth

Life seems simple when it's raining in October, and you're riding on a bus in Seoul listening to Counting Crows deep cuts. Is that lame? Probably, but you'll understand exactly what I mean if you listen to the song "Speedway" at just the right moment.

Most other times, life seems very complicated. One moment you're on top of the world, the next moment you get anxious about nothing, then you decide you want to learn how to play the banjo, then you miss your sister. 

I realized earlier today that my musical tastes lately have leaned heavily on the "light" side. Am I becoming old and lame? Have I turned into one of those people that think Sky Blue Sky is a 'nice' album? Though I don't know the answer to these questions, I do know that the most revelatory musical experience I've had in the past month occurred while listening to Bruce Hornsby on the subway. 

Light music can be very comforting. I think that is probably why I have gravitated towards Ryan Adams or Van Morrison lately, as opposed to say, Animal Collective or My Bloody Valentine. Seoul is crazy. Imagine living alongside 13 million people that have the most intense work ethic imaginable and glare at you for wearing a sweatshirt. Having spent four years in Burlington, where a clean-cut face and sweater would look out of place, this is a little tough to get used to. 

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but I'm a sort of delirious and jacked up on Coke Zero...so just bear with me for a minute. This all made sense when I was thinking about spilling my guts on the bus earlier. Now I can't remember what I had to say. It had something to do with the fact that Adam Duritz doesn't get the credibility that he deserves, and that Ryan Adams used to write great songs. Is it a coincidence that they have collaborated on a few songs? Probably not. They both owe an incredible debt to Neil Young, write great pop songs, and have a tendency for sentimentality. "When you're young, you get sad and you get high." How fucking great is that line?

Well now I am off to a Rooftop Mexican BBQ on rainy day in South Korea. I tip my hat towards you, the reader....for reading this even though it lacks any hint of entertainment or Korean madness. 

PS...listen to Bon Iver

PPS...I'm pretty sure that there is a law in South Korea stating that you MUST carry an umbrella if it rains.

PPPS...Every time I see an umbrella, I sing "ELLA A A A" in my head and giggle.

PPPPS...All you Massholes better vote YES on Question 2.

PPPPPS...How to Live on Earth is the name of a movie that got rave reviews at the Pusan International Film Festival and just so happens to be directed by the husband of one of my colleagues. Yesterday I asked her if the movie explains how to live on earth and her response kills me. 

"well....maybe...if you think about it a certain way"

Thats sort of how I feel about Dazed and Confused

No comments: